Friday, April 1, 2011

Waldorf Dolls

I was exploring around Etsy and noticed several people selling Waldorf dolls.  Now, I've heard of Waldorf school's but didn't know what a Waldorf doll was.  According to Wikipedia, a Waldorf doll is a very simplistic doll, also called a Steiner doll. They have eyes and a very small mouth with a hint of a nose. 

After looking at a lot of people's descriptions and wikipedia I've come to realize that they are designed to be simplistic to enhance imagination, rather than simply going back to a simpler time.  They are very floppy so that they can be held in a pose or change their posture very easily.  The minimalized facial features allow children to project every kind of emotion onto the doll rather than trying to pretend the doll is sad when there is a huge smile plastered on the dolls face (like a barbie doll).  With all of the TV children watch these days, and the very sexualized dolls you can buy in the stores I believe that the Waldorf dolls are a very good idea.  

Below are two sellers of Waldorf dolls in Oregon, I'm sure that there are many more, but I didn't want this post to go on forever!

In Corvallis, Oregon
http://www.etsy.com/shop/peglee?ref=seller_info
I like this shop because of the varieties of age and ethnicities included in the dolls sold at the shop.  A mixture of these dolls will teach kids about equality. 




In Oregon, city unspecified
http://www.etsy.com/shop/reggiesdolls?ref=seller_info
I like the variety of clothing that is made for Waldorf dolls in this shop, the seller has lots of costumes and every day clothing sold separately from the dolls to use in everyday play.

2 comments:

  1. thank you, thank you for putting me on your blog. You, my dear, are my hero of the day!
    I have had a very crappy day and you have been my happy dot!

    Let me do the same for you!
    your pal
    peggy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well said about the Waldorf dolls being a better way to go for kids. Good luck on your blog and your crafting! Linda

    ReplyDelete